(This post should have been uploaded in November, 2017, when it happened. I should post more often.)
I noticed that the Angular.io docs were written with Angular 5 in mind. I especially noticed it when the Http methods did not load properly in my project. It turns out that HttpClient was moved to into @angular/common. However, my version of Angular had HttpClient still in @angular/http. I ended up with bad files when I followed the documentation. To stay current, I decided to update my copy of Angular 4 to Angular 5.
I did a search on how to do the update and I ran across this site: angular-update-guide.firebaseapp.com. Their suggestions helped a lot. I did notice that when I ran the update, I kept seeing messages about ‘invalid’ modules. I’m still not sure why I saw that message, but I’ve seen odd messages from other updates before, so I filed it away to follow up in case the update did not work.
I run my development server with Angular CLI, so I entered ‘>ng serve’ to start the new server. It did not work. I saw an odd message saying my version of ‘angular/compiler-cli needs to be 2.3.1 or greater. Current version is 5.0.2’. Clearly, something was wrong with the angular-cli files. I considered updating the project.json file and updating everything with npm. It turns out I had to be more systematic to make sure everything related was updated properly.
I installed Angular-cli globally, so I had to remove it globally first. I also removed it from the dependency list in the project. I deleted the node modules to make sure every change shown in project.json was accepted correctly. I reloaded angular-cli globally and in the project dependencies again. Finally, I ran ‘>npm install’ to make sure the modules were fresh.
‘> ng serve’ worked as expected. That took longer than I thought.