error on part 0 of Ansible install

I’ve mentioned that I decided to use Ansible for my server configuration management. This installation has finally bubbled up as the first item on my to-do list. I looked around to see how to install it. Since I already have Homebrew installed on my mac, I saw two options:

  1. > brew install ansible
  2. > pip3 install ansible

I did not know any reason why these would be different, so I went ahead and ran ‘> brew install ansible’. That was a mistake. Ansible lists Python 2 as a dependency, which is not included in my Homebrew installation. Homebrew installs Python 2.7.13. I also have Python 3 running (3.6.2). I also found out there’s a third version of Python (2.7.10) which is part of the default installation in my laptop. 3 versions of Python on one machine. Wonderful!

I created a /etc/ansible/hosts file and did a test ping, which returns UNREACHABLE. That makes no sense, but I think I have to use some command line options to use the correct account.

Also, I don’t know which version of ansible is running. I may want to remove the Homebrew version and figure out how to use the python3 version. What a mess.

After a day of thought, I decided to check a few things:

> ansible —version

> ansible 2.3.2.0 (good)

… python version = 3.6.2 (what? Why not 2.7.13 or 2.7.10? Interesting.)

I checked the documents page at ansible.com. They say that ansible can run with python3 in one of two ways:

  1. > python3 <path/to/ansible> localhost -m ping
  2. > ansible localhost -m ping -e ‘ansible_python_interpreter=<path/to/python3>

To see what happens, I also tried

  1. > ansible localhost -m ping

It turns out all return good pings from localhost, so … I guess my installation is OK. Even so, next time, avoid using Homebrew for ansible installations.

Advertisements

Python errors: I should have known that

I needed to write some data to a MySQL database. I set up the MySQL Python connector without any real trouble. I tested it in a tiny Python page and it does connect to the correct database. Great!

I moved the connection code to a function on a new page and ran into trouble. I kept seeing a message saying something about “Reference error: weakly-referenced object no longer exists”. After a detour into weak references, I realized the issue was garbage collecting. Somewhere within my function, I had a object that was disappearing.

The connection function had no parameters. A connection object local to the function was created and the resulting cursor was returned. You should see the problem immediately. The connection object what the item that was disappearing. I rewrote the function to send back the connection object and then extract the cursor from the returned object. That error message went away.

I had another strange problem where updating a field was not allowed because of a type mismatch. I’m used to PHP, where weak or loose types are the norm. Once I realized that data going into the MySQL table also needs to match the correct type expected by the MySQL column, my problem is solved.

Catching up with Python

I always forget that major software upgrades in OS X reset permissions in /usr/local. When I checked my brew install, I saw that message. I played around with write permissions only, but in the end, did what brew recommended and reset the permissions as described. That allowed me to update brew and move on to the next task: updating Python3.

I was not as far back as I expected. I was sitting on Python 3.4. The upgrades went smoothly and I’m back to Python 3.5.1. I thought I had modules installed, but I’m not getting any list of local modules installed. It’s very possible, since I never did much with on the desktop. That will be the next task.