WW2CP.org update – OCR!?!

I had some time to get back to this project, so I decided to make some updates. My updates were not to the website, but to the data underscoring the website. I needed to show that I could take data (pages scanned as gifs – really) available at the National Archives and read that data into a database. I pulled a page from here (https://www.archives.gov/research/military/ww2/army-casualties). It’s not really a random page — it’s a page from U. S. Army casualties from Los Angeles County.

I discovered I could not open the file using Python 3 and OpenCV because it can’t open GIF files. (???) I was able to open the file using the Pillow module from Python 3. I can also convert the file to a PNG file and resave the file into a different folder. Once the file was saved, I could read the file using OpenCV and could get some OCR. The results were very bad, but it’s the first try.

The page is set up to show three columns of casualties. I need to crop the page to show three separate columns and read each column. Additionally, I need to boost the contrast to see if that makes the text in the image easier to read. I’ll need to review  Pillow to see how I can change contrast, but it does not look hard.

Progress!!!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s