installed intl extension for PHP

I’m getting ready to install CakePHP 3.1.3 on my laptop. I discovered that I needed the intl PHP extension installed as a requirement for CakePHP. I tracked down several web pages with instructions and I decided to use this one, considering I had good luck with the page the last time I needed to install the intl extension. The page is for OS X Mavericks. I found no significant changes when I followed along for my Yosemite laptop. The only real change that I saw was that there was a new version of the ICU installer (56.1 as opposed to 52.1 described on the page).

I was surprised that I needed to install PECL and PEAR, considering that I don’t use PEAR that much any more. PEAR did not give me trouble. However, pecl.php.net was down the afternoon I wanted to install the software, so I had to wait until the next morning to install it.

Like I mentioned, the ICU installation instructions are almost the same. The only difference is the updated version of ICU, 56.1. Substituting the new version into the suggested Terminal commands went well

I thought I already had AutoConf installed, from what I saw in some libraries in /usr/local, but I decided to install it again to be sure. I had no trouble with it.

PECL gave me no trouble when I wanted to install the intl extension. Somehow, my php.ini file had been updated with the extension command pointing to intl.so. I thought that was odd, but I let it go. When I checked phpinfo(), there was a new entry for the intl extension. Very nice.