More composer notes

When I decided to investigate PHP frameworks, I discovered that lots of them required Composer  (https://getcomposer.org) for full installation. It makes sense, since Composer is a “dependency manager for PHP” and serves to collect everything needed for a PHP application. I like the idea of having something that can install everything needed at once, so I decided to install it.

I use Homebrew (http://brew.sh) as my package manager, so I had it install composer as a global package. It installed composer 1.0.0-alpha9. As described in another post, I ran into some problems installing CakePHP that were eventually resolved, more or less. I still had some trouble using Composer to install CakePHP, but I did get the pieces to install using a full CakePHP download from their site (http://cakephp.org). I was a little disappointed that Composer did not work as expected, but I got what I needed, so I moved on.

Eventually, I became comfortable enough with Bootstrap to install a Bootstrap plugin into CakePHP. The plugin instructions said to update the CakePHP composer.json file and then update it. I tried that, but I had trouble with parsing of a composer package version: “>=0.4.2 <1.0”. It looks fine, but my copy of Composer stopped over and over again. I installed a new local copy of composer and ran a dry run to see what would happen. This time, there were no freezes. I don’t like the idea of having local copies of composer sprinkled throughout the file system, so I did more research.

I tried using brew to update the composer package, but it would stop with errors. The error messages mentioned I did not have a copies of PHP in the brew directories. That’s true. I did not want to install additional copies of PHP when Apple provided an slightly order, but working copy. I managed to install composer before, but the trick I used then did not work now.

After reading the documentation (who does that?), I discovered that I could get composer to update itself. After running the self update, composer finally updated itself to the latest stable version. The syntax issue that caused problems before was fixed. I was able to update CakePHP to 3.0.5 and also successfully installed the Bootstrap plugin. On to the next issue.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s