I discovered that Mavericks (10.9.5) comes with ruby 2.0.0p481 installed. Seeing how Ruby 2.1.4 has been released, I decided to figure out how to get to the newest version. I think a big chunk of it has to come through RVM / Jewelry box (app). I also think I need the brew package management system to make sure everything comes in the right place with all the required packages.
This page seems to have the best, most up-to-date instructions I’ve found on installing the whole Ruby/RVM business.
- I installed the command line tools. I already have Xcode 6.1 installed, but I installed the command line tools through the command line, just to match the instructions.
- gcc looks good
- I already installed HomeBrew when I installed Python 3.4. It looks OK. I get a message about a file I don’t recognize, but I’m not going to worry about it
- I updated git. Now it’s v 1.9.3, which is what it was before. “which git” does point to the correct version, /usr/local/bin/git
- installed RVM, but it looks like are problems. However, version checks look OK
- rvm -v > rvm 1.26.0
- problem with ruby: dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libgmp.10.dylib
- suggested: rvm reinstall 2.1.4 –disable-binary
- ruby -v > ruby 2.1.4p265
- rails -v not initially installed (odd)
- “sudo gem install rails” could be an issue with sudo permissions
- rails -v > 4.1.7